Saturday, March 30, 2013

Procrastination By Emily Cote

           This evening my family and I got together to have dinner, chat and dye Easter eggs at my Grandparents house. With all the crazy preparation for Easter and having the day off yesterday, I got lazy and forgot about everything I had to do. Including this blog post. So this is my blog post talking about procrastination and a little thing call Senioritis. Now, if you're not a Senior yet, you may laugh and say, "Oh sure, whatever! You're just lazy!" No. It's a real thing. It's like a disease. If you are a Senior or have been a Senior, you understand.
            I was trying to think of something to write and my grandparents and other family members were trying to help me think of something to write about. But when I said, "I don't really FEEL like writing about anything." They told me that was my problem. They're probably right. Then a turkey buzzard flew by and my Grandmother said, "Someone must be dead." My grandfather decided to "shoot" it with his finger. It didn't die. They suggested things like, a movie review, write about myself ("After all, that's what blog are anyway."), one of my sisters said that I should write a biography about her (that's not happening), or even writing a story about a distant relative that came over on the Mayflower and almost died because he fell overboard (by the way, that's a true story. It's actually pretty interesting..maybe I'll write about it another time). None of these things were sparking my interest. And so here I am, procrastination some more, telling you about how I couldn't find anything to write about. Then my baby cousin came over and drooled on me.
           This is probably boring you to death. Procrastination is a real issue for some people, including myself. It's hard to shake and easy to find a million other things to do besides what you actually should be doing. I've struggled with it for a while and part of it has to do with that fact that I have trouble sitting still for long periods of time, and unfortunately all the things I procrastinate about are the things that involve sitting. Don't get me wrong, I love writing, I really do, but when you're so close to graduation, you just want to be done and you're not as motivated and inspired as you were the year before. So here's the Wikipedia definition of Procrastination.


"In psychology, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority, or doing something from which one derives enjoyment, and thus putting off important tasks to a later time. In accordance with Freud, the pleasure principle may be responsible for procrastination; humans do not prefer negative emotions, and handing off a stressful task until a further date is enjoyable. The concept that humans work best under pressure provides additional enjoyment and motivation to postponing a task. Some psychologists cite such behavior as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. Other psychologists indicate that anxiety is just as likely to get people to start working early as late and the focus should be impulsiveness. That is, anxiety will cause people to delay only if they are impulsive.


         
          So there it is folks. If you struggle with procrastination, that's what you have. And I just wasted more 
time telling you what the word means and not writing anything. But you can overcome it, you can rise above it and learn something from all of the years of procrastination, you can decide to make a change, right now, TODAY. We can do it together! Or...we could just do it tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow sounds like a better day to stop procrastinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment