Tuesday, February 28, 2017

How To Condense A Story To Fit The Word Count.

by Hannah Herndon

Personally, I have a lot of trouble saying things concisely. I've always loved words, which is part of what drove me into writing, and I sometimes forget that often less can be more.
As a result, my stories tend to become far more lengthy than intended. In the right setting, this can be a good thing. But Sacday's Creative Writing class has recently been assigned to write a short story between 1000-2000 words, and I must admit, I panicked when they told us. I have tried to write short stories before, and every single time, I have gotten frustrated and given up. It can be really hard to chop up your own creation to suit the standards of others, and were it something other than length, I would never submit willingly.
I searched around the internet for advice on condensing a story, and happened upon an article by one of my favorite authors that I found helpful.

If you are interested, you can read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment