Tuesday, January 19, 2016

"13 Hours" Movie Review by Cole Dupuy



      13 Hours is a movie about the attacks on September 11, 2012 in Benghazi, filmed from the perspective of those on the ground. It is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

      Let me get this clear first: I wouldn't take your kids to see it unless it's for informative purposes. It is rated R for foul language and extreme violence, justified in the fact that it really happened. 13 Hours begins with a brief introduction to some of the things happening politically in Libya at that time, and before diving into the story opens with: "This is a true story". Not "The following is based on a true story," and throughout the duration of the movie, I never once doubted their bold statement. 13 Hours looks real, sounds real, is well acted, well directed, and all and all feels real.

      Jim Halpert (John Krasinski) does surprisingly well in his role as a CIA Operative and the rest of the cast does well too. (Most of the movie is screaming orders and shooting, so I don't have much commentary on the acting.)

      Though 13 Hours excels in the previously mentioned aspects, it's not the kind of movie you watch to enjoy. Not to detract from the movie as a whole, as it is fantastic for what it is, but what it is three hours of explosions, limbs breaking, and nearly unbearable tension as you watch them fend off wave after wave of terrorists, waiting for help that never comes. Again, it is a true story, so I'm not complaining about this; I'm just saying that though it is a great movie, I'm not sure I have it in me to see it again. All in all, I give 13 Hours a nine out of ten, and would recommend that you see it, if not more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment